I had the great privilege of attending the Squares Conference this past weekend in Grapevine, Texas. I heard about Squares via the Circles Conference, another great conference that I’ve never been to but saw how well attendees enjoyed it. Circles is geared toward the creative/maker community whereas Squares is targeted toward the developer community. To say I had a great time attending is really an understatement. I was continually impressed at how well the conference organizers struck such a great balance in providing content that was both technical and inspiring. Also, there were tons of attendees and speakers who were genuinely open and all around cool people. There was an overwhelming atmosphere of collaboration and tons of breaks sprinkled in that gave attendees the opportunity to do it.
When I first started on this journey to become a web designer/developer, I used to troll Twitter to find all the resources people would post from conferences they attended. In the spirit of sharing, I have collected all the resources I wrote down from the Squares (from presentations and several conversations). I’ll be updating this as more of the speakers share their slide deck. It’s not a complete list b/c honestly there were times when I was either too wrapped up in what the speaker was talking about or too un-caffeinated to take notes.
If there are any resources you think should be added to this list just shoot me an e-mail at daniel-at-colorturtle-dot-com. Lemme’ know what I missed!
Cap Watkins > Design Is For Everyone
Carl Smith > Lessons From The Lemonade Stand
Carrie Dils > The Power of WordPress and Genesis Framework
Doug Neiner > A Brief Intro to React.js
Drew Wilson > How To Build Products That Lose Money
Jason Pamental > The Life of <p> – Responsive Typography
Jina Bolton > SASS and Style Guides
Joel Glovier > GitHub and the Power of Making Mistakes
Katie Kovalcin > The Path To Performance
Kyle Kutter > Leading In The Digerati Age
Zach Schmid > Transforming Your Engineering Team
Creating A Performance Budget:
- webpagetest.org > test site load times
- whatdoesmysitecost.com > shows the cost to the user based on connection speed, etc.
- How to Make a Performance Budget by Dan Mall
- Designing for Performance by Lara Hogan
- Performance Budgeting With Grunt > An online resource created by Tim Kadlec
- http://webfont-test.com/ > Test the performance weight of any font you are thinking of using on your site
- woofmaker.com > Insert a photo into an E-P-I-C gif
- Design News (started by LayerVault) > https://news.layervault.com/
- Product Hunt > Get a summary of the best new products, every day.
- Sidebar e-mail subscription > 5 curated links of exceptional design, everyday
- Creativity Inc. > Book about Pixar’s daily work
Dealing With Stress:
- How To Make Stress Your Friend > a Ted Talk by Kelly McGonnacle
- Reality is Broken by Jane McGonnacle
Making a Living/Interactive Style-Guide:
- Atomic Design blog post by Brad Frost
- Atomic Design Book (in progress) by Brad Frost
- Responsive Testing > mattkersley.com/responsive
- Theo > A json file converter that can generate sass/less/json/xml/html/etc.
- StyleDocco – Style Guide generator > Generates documentation and style guide documents from your stylesheets
- Sales Force UX – Living Design System Article
- Sales Force Online Style Guide
- Susy Sass Helper > Not exactly sure how this works, but basically it works to reduce CSS bloat
Other Awesome Conferences that People Shared:
- GitHub Explore > Find open GitHub projects that you can clone
- Hubot > A tool created by GitHub to automate various things, like rolling out the deployment of a site
- Intro to GitHub > A slide deck shared by a designer on how his team uses GitHub to communicate with each other
- Confluence > An Atlassian Tool for allowing communication with your team
- Jira > JIRA is the tracker for teams planning and building great products
- The Scrum Field Guide by Mitch Lacey
Trademark Search Resource:
Again, if there are any resources you think should be added to this list just shoot me an e-mail at daniel-at-colorturtle-dot-com. Would love to know what I missed!